Gambling Watch UK is an organisation which is independent of Government and the gambling industry. It exists to question the present policy of support for the expansion of gambling in the UK and to propose alternative policies which would have the effect of preventing such expansion. Its members believe that the expansion of gambling is harmful from a public health perspective and is inconsistent with support for positive cultural values. It does not campaign for the total prohibition of gambling.
- To generate debate about the role of gambling in our society.
- To understand and challenge the arguments used by those individuals and organisations lobbying for gambling expansion.
- To keep a critical watch on gambling policy developments in the UK and elsewhere.
- To make positive policy proposals regarding gambling which are in line with the organisation’s Mission Statement.
- To understand better the attitudes of the public towards gambling in its different forms.
- To marshal support in opposition to gambling expansion.
- To support other organisations nationally and internationally whose aims are in line with those of Gambling Watch UK.